[Samba] Inconsistency with LANMAN1 and Samba 4.9

Andreas Reichel homebase_ar at web.de
Fri May 31 16:32:56 UTC 2019

Dear samba team,

I have a lot of hobby projects including old PCs. I wanted to hook up a Win3.11 machine to my current
Arch-Linux Workstation running samba 4.9.4.

I have used the following configuration:

[global]
	workgroup = HOMEBASE
 	netbios name = Orcane
	wins support = Yes
	client signing = No
	domain master = No
	lanman auth = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	name resolve order = host lmhosts wins bcast
	passdb backend = smbpasswd
	preferred master = Yes
	security = USER
	server signing = No
	server string = Orcane Cortex Gateway
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

[homes]
	browseable = No
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No

[printers]
	browseable = No
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes

[win311]
	comment = File transfer1
	guest ok = Yes
	path = /win311
	read only = No

---

Fact is, for Windows 3.11, I need lanman authentication.
The following problems arose:

When adding me as the user with 'smbpasswd -a andreas', and entering a password,
no LANMAN hash is generated. The generated smbpasswd entry always contains 32 X as the first hash.

When I do the same with Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu, the hash IS generated correctly.

When I manually add the hash in 4.9.4, I still cannot connect from Win 3.11 and always get access denied.

In 4.3.11, it works flawlessly, I can connect from Windows 3.11 without any problem.

Question: Is this intended? And if yes, why are there all these options still settable?

Kind regards
Andreas