[Samba] Problem joining domain [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Thamm, Russell Russell.Thamm at dst.defence.gov.au
Fri May 31 06:21:49 UTC 2019

UNCLASSIFIED

Hi Andrew and Roland,

I originally installed samba-4.1.7 on CentOS 6.5. I successfully joined the domain. I intended to take over from the 2003 server but because the domain was being heavily used, I delayed seizing the roles.

Now I really, really want to replace the 2003 server. The network is currently not in use and I want to complete the job while I have an opportunity. If I have no other option, I will create a new domain, but I'd prefer to avoid having to create new user accounts.

When I tried to join the domain with the new samba box, I got the error I reported. I hoped removing the old server from AD might fix the problem but alas no.

I removed the samba 4 server (Gollum) following the instructions https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-ds/deploy/ad-ds-metadata-cleanup

Ndsutil failed, so I used Active Directory Users and Computers to delete Gollum's Domain Controller entry, specifying that the old controller was permanently offline. I used Active Directory Sites and Services to delete NTDS Settings and the Service under Default-First-Site again specifying that the Gollum was permanently offline.  I backed up the AD on the 2003 server first, so in theory, I can undo these changes.

The new server is CentOS 7 (1810) and the version of SAMBA is the 4.10.4.

The 2003 domain is at the highest functional level.

Cheers
Russell