[Samba] samba-tool group removemembers, not working

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 30 07:46:47 UTC 2019

On 30/05/2019 05:43, Mark Foley via samba wrote:
>> Hi Mark, can I ask just what you are trying to achieve ?
> Well, it's rather simple. I want to remove a domain member from the domain. Normally, I do that
> with ADUC, no problem. But for some reason I was having trouble with ADUC (since resovled,
> magically), so I thought I'd try the same thing using samba-tool. That's it really.
If you are referring to a Windows computer, then you should log into it
and leave the domain in the normal Windows way. A Unix domain member is
similar, you just run 'net ads leave -U Administrator' in a terminal

> You wrote further:
>
>> I hope you can see that trying to remove a computer from Domain Computers will not work because
>> the 'backlinks' do not exist.
> Fine, I can live with that. But then how do you actually remove a member computer from the
> domain? Is ADUC the only way to do it?

if, after the computer leaves the domain, the computers object is still
in AD and you wish to remove it, you can do this with 'samba-tool
computer remove'

Rowland