[Samba] samba-tool group removemembers, not working

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Tue May 28 19:31:00 UTC 2019

On Tue, 28 May 2019 11:04:01 +0200 Denis Cardon <dcardon at tranquil.it> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> > Because of other issues using ADUC, I tried to remove a domain member using:
> >
> >> samba-tool group removemembers "Domain Computers" MARKA\$
> > Removed members from group Domain Computers
> >
> > As shown, it say it "Removed members", but ...
> >
> >> samba-tool group listmembers "Domain Computers"
> > :
> > LABRAT$
> > :
> > OHPRSSTORAGE$
> > MARKA$
> > :
> > COMMON$
> > :
> >
> > listmembers still shows the computer as a member of "Domain Computers". What's up with this?
>
> "Domain Computers" is the primaryGroupID of AD joined computer (515).
> The computer object is a member not because it is listed in the group
> membership, but because of its primaryGroupID attribute. If you want to
> get it out of "domain computers", you have to change that attribute to
> something else.
>
> You can test with a different group than "Domain computers" or "Domain
> computers", it will work as intended.
>
> I admit that the message is misleading though. By the way, why do you
> want to remove that computer from "Domain Computers" group?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Denis
>

> > Samba Version 4.8.2
> >
> > THX --Mark

Denis if all you say is true, "misleading" is wildly understated.  You say I can test with
different groups other than "Domain Computer".  I'm not sure where I would even begin since,
well, this *is* a Domain Computer.  I've included my list of groups (samba-tool group list)
below.  Do you have a suggestion where a domain member computer might really be? I've done a
listmembers of each of these groups and the only one in which I find MARKA is "Domain
Computers".

Incoming Forest Trust Builders
Network Configuration Operators
Domain Guests