[Samba] python dist-utils and python-config [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 28 08:10:59 UTC 2019

On 28/05/2019 08:41, Thamm, Russell via samba wrote:
> UNOFFICIAL
What do you mean 'UNOFFICIAL' ?
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build samba-latest on CentOS 7. The PC is not online, so I have to download everything manually.
> Most of the prerequisites are on the CentOS Everything ISO so I don't have to download a lot.

If you mean
'https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/stable/samba-4.10.4.tar.gz' as
samba-latest, then you can build this with python2

To build Samba with python2 you *must* set the 'PYTHON' environment
variable for both the 'configure' and 'make' steps, i.e.

   'PYTHON=python2 ./configure'
   'PYTHON=python2 make'

> I installed all the documented dependencies and configure complained about python3.
>
> So I downloaded and installed
>
> python36-libs-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
> python36-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64.rpm
>
> and now I get (./configure)
>
> :DistUtils not installed? Broken python installation? Get python-config now.
>
> I tried to find dist-utils. All I could find was:
>
> python36-distutils-extra-2.39-8.el7.noarch.rpm
>
> This is apparently not what is required, because configure still gives me the same error.
>
> I've had even less luck looking for python-config.
>
> Can anyone tell me what else I need to install?
>
> Alternately, what is the latest version of SAMBA 4 that will build with the documented prerequisites(ie not using python 3)?

There have been a few posts on this very topic recently, try searching
the samba-mailing list archives, but it basically boils down to using
the python3 variants of any python dependences previously used.

Rowland