[Samba] Upgraded from CentOS 6.X to 7.X, samba not working

Jobst Schmalenbach jobst at barrett.com.au
Tue May 28 01:31:29 UTC 2019

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 08:40:19AM +0100, Rowland penny via samba (samba at lists.samba.org) wrote:
> On 27/05/2019 01:26, Jobst Schmalenbach via samba wrote:
> > On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 03:45:31PM +0200, L.P.H. van Belle via samba (samba at lists.samba.org) wrote:
> > > You should have looked before upgrading. ...
> > I actually did, I remember now (after I read your suggestions).
> >
> > On this page (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba) it actually says:
>
> > My reasoning: I want to get all upgrades out of the way, then update samba ...
> I understand your problem, but (and here is a first) I agree with Reindl,
> using RHEL is all very well and good, but it is based on old package
> versions and this means that when the time comes to update, it is usually a
> large jump. Large corporations can deal with this, but smaller ones
> struggle, so if you must use a red-hat based distro, use Fedora, yes you
> will need to upgrade more often, but the changes will be smaller and
> current.

Hindsight its always better than foresight - I am a field hockey goalie and I can asure you I KNOW this!!
;-)

I used to be on RH6, then Redhat moved to licensing. So I went to Fedora - but I got sick and tired of all these packages and daemons running that I did need for a "WHATEVER" server (many different).

The amoount of stuff you cannot turn off while running Fedora is huge. CentOS is lean, so I swapped.
CentOS does have advantages when you run it on Dell Blade servers.

--

Jobst Schmalenbach

Goldwaithe's lemma of Murphy's third law:  The line in which you are waiting is always the slowest.  If you move, the line you move to stops.  If you move back, both lines stop, and everyone is angry with you.