[Samba] Samba4 DNS SOA Records

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 27 07:50:14 UTC 2019

On 27/05/2019 08:28, Julien TEHERY via samba wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a setup with 2 DC on a main site, et 14 DCs which are located
> on 7 AD sites.
> I recently noticed in my DNS zones that my SOA record is associated to
> the last DC that was joined to the domain.
> But this DC is located on one of the remote sites.
>
> Is this behavior normal or would it be better if I updated this record
> via "samba-tool dns update" to point it to one of my 3 main DCs ?

All DC's are authoritative for the dns domain (they are all masters,
it's called multi-master), so they should all be associated with the SOA
record.

If I ask each DC in my domain (I have two) for the SOA, I get this:

root at dc4:~# host -t soa samdom.example.com
samdom.example.com has SOA record dc4.samdom.example.com.
hostmaster.samdom.example.com. 8283 900 600 86400 3600

root at dc5:~# host -t soa samdom.example.com
samdom.example.com has SOA record dc5.samdom.example.com.
hostmaster.samdom.example.com. 8283 900 600 86400 3600

As you can see, each claims to be the master.

Rowland