[Samba] Upgraded from CentOS 6.X to 7.X, samba not working

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat May 25 07:36:41 UTC 2019

On 24/05/2019 22:07, Jobst Schmalenbach via samba wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 03:45:31PM +0200, L.P.H. van Belle via samba (samba at lists.samba.org) wrote:
>> You should have looked before upgrading. ...
>> If its an AD-DC.
> Yes, very true!
>
> I really have "upgrading fatigue", this is my tenths bloody odd machine I am moving from 6.x to 7.x (all of those quite complicated servers) - but it is my first samba server. All the samba servers are internal servers unreachable from the outside, so loosing the updates of the OS was my least concern.
>
> I briefly researched samba a while back and did not expect a few minor version number changes make such a big difference. I also "expected" to have a variety of choices of Samba (as this had been the case for so many years) - e.g. older versions.

Ah, I think you are mixing up 'minor' with 'revision'. Samba uses
'major.minor.revision' , the latest version is 4.10.4. If something
dramatic changes, then the 'major' version will change, this last
happened when the ability to provision an AD domain was released i.e
Samba went from '3.x.x' to '4.x.x'. If minor changes are made, then the
minor version will change, these changes could be the addition or
removal of smb.conf options, though removal will mean the deprecation of
the option at a minor release before being removed at the next minor
release. The 'revision' releases are for bugfixes and/or security
problems, nothing major should be changed.

This all means that before you upgrade Samba, you should read the
release notes for the 'minor' releases, there have been a lot of changes
between the Samba that Centos 6 used and the one that Centos 7 uses.

Rowland