[Samba] Various AD issues; summary

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu May 23 10:19:35 UTC 2019

Ok, just dont forget the last points, where is more todo..
As in smb.conf fixes, these are important also..

Yeah, that is on my todo list but im pretty bussy with office thinks atm.
but creating meta packages, for specific installs yeah, that will help a lot.

> > And your probely are missing this file on most of your servers.
> > one i can add also to my script.
> >
> > /usr/share/pam-configs/winbind
>
> That exists on all servers, with that same contents, and winbind is
> enabled everywhere.
>
> > And enable/disable it with: pam-auth-update
> > If needed, and you probely need it for ssh logins,
> select/enable winbind.
>
> Already enabled.
>
> > After this is done on all the DC's then i have 2 more things.
> >
> > How are you replication sysvol?
>
> lsyncd-triggered `rsync --archive --acls --xattrs` from the FSMO role
> holder to everyone else.

Lsyncd ?  Can you share how you use it?  Might be usefull to put it also on the wiki.

> > How are you syncing the time between all DC'.s  ( and again
> need to add that also to the script. )
>
> NTP, using the servers of Austria's Federal Office of Metrology and
> Surveying. Can't complain about their accuracy, deviation between
> servers is <1ms.
>
> > What i now suggest, you have these files, as in these
> :XXXXX.info2.txt  for all servers.
> > Use these and diff between the servers.
> >
> > Now beside the above changes which need to be done first.
> > Next will be.
> >
> > More standardization of you smb.conf for all servers.
> > Your setup with the includes are good, but the settings are
> a bit off.
> > And with off i mean, not wrong, but different, but this can
> cause problems.
> > SO the more these are the same the less problems.
> > And, keep site/server specific differences in these site
> includes, thats good.
>
> We'll tackle that when we upgrade all the servers to 4.10. Now that
> management has felt the impact of obsolete software versions, that's
> suddenly a lot easier to schedule. :D Should be mid next month.

Thats great, but do remember to fixup the other parts first also.
As i said, its not fully done, Put it on your TODO list.
Because if you upgrade now from 4.5 to 4.10 in one step, you get new problems.
Which you can easely avoid by fixing things before upgrading.

> >> DNSMasq is there to provide stuff not related to the samba
> >> domain, which
> >> is mostly needed for client PCs. So switching over DCs and member
> >> servers to using AD DCs directly is easy, but client PCs
> will need to
> >> remain on DNSMasq. From what I've seen, all AD related
> queries resolve
> >> fine with it, too.
> >
> > What you her is fine, but resolv.conf on the DCs need to
> resolve to the DC's.
>
> Already did that.
>
> >> 2 physical sites (192.168.17/24 and 192.168.16/24) in
> >> different subnets,
> >> but they're organized as a single logical site in AD and
> >> VPN'd together via default gateway.
> >
> > I've dont same here..  I have one site but 4 subdomains and
> 6 subnets.
> > Now, that VPN part, keep that in mind, after all things are
> done i have questions about that one also.
> > But lets not do that all at once.
>
> What about it?

Well, think in
- Reduced package sizes..
- Disable Path MTU discovery to prevent packet fragmentation problems.
- prevent IP packet fragmentation itself.
- priotizing of traffic?

Optimizing things like that also helps in stabilizing the network.

> >> users email adresses maybe?
> >>
> >> Legacy setup had our domain on tao.at directly, I think we
> needed that
> >> to smooth over the transition. But that was years ago and
> shouldn't be
> >> needed any more.
> >
> > Good, verify it and if its not needed remove it.
>
> Removed it, didn't seem to break anything.

> >> Some horribly obsolete PHP5 LDAP library breaks with SSL, as a
> >> workaround we're SSH tunneling it until we can kill it. Which
> >> *hopefully* should be sometimes this month anyway, so no
> >> point in fixing it now.
> >
> > Hm, your using debian stretch, then why are you useing
> jessie's php5?
> > Old web app that needed php5?
>
> Yes. It's end of life anyway and will be taken offline in a few weeks'
> time. No point in trying to improve it now.

I agree, now, if its within 2-3 month, keep it, better use the time for new setup.

Well, have a good day on the next project.

Greetz,

Louis