[Samba] Various AD issues; summary

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu May 23 09:11:54 UTC 2019

Hi Sven,

Ok, before i back to my packaging, i reviewed the changes.

You still missed a bit but it looks much better already, your completely there, but we will get there.
And you really need to be more precise, why im telling that...

Well the review. ( thats not all, im still reviewing the base only)  ...

https://up.tao.at/u/samba/graz-file.info2.txt

       Checking file: /etc/nsswitch.conf

passwd:         files winbind winbind
group:          files winbind winbind
shadow:         files winbind

Uhmm..  If your using puppet or ansible, then i suggest go over these files once manualy.

https://up.tao.at/u/samba/graz-mail.info2.txt
Missing packages. :  apt install acl samba-dsdb-modules  samba-vfs-modules
Yes, its possible to run without these, but for a domain member better to install them.

/etc/hosts
::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
127.0.0.1 localhost

192.168.17.79 graz-mail.ad.tao.at graz-mail mail.graz.tao.at
192.168.17.58  database.local
192.168.16.209 mail.villach.tao.at

Now the last 2 entries, if you resolving is correct, then the last too lines should not be needed.
But, its not wrong, as long as the resolves also on the other servers where its needed.

https://up.tao.at/u/samba/graz-dc-sem.info2.txt
You are probley having a good reason for it.
	template shell = /bin/zsh
Your (some) other server have template shell = /bin/bash

https://up.tao.at/u/samba/graz-dc-1b.info2.txt

Debian 9.8 the others are at 9.9 ( apt dist-upgrade)

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd:         files winbind
group:          files winbind
shadow:         files winbind		<<  ?? You missed this one.
gshadow:        files

https://up.tao.at/u/samba/villach-dc-1a.info2.txt
This computer is running Debian 9.0 .. You missed a lot of upgrades here.
Missing acl package

Well, it looks much better already.

Now once all above is done, then next is.
Compair your installed packages, you can do yourself.

Now, this is a diff of you packages installed on the DC's.
What do you see here... I see alot of differences.

diff graz-dc-1b.info2.txt graz-dc-sem.info2.txt
11,21c11,24
< ii  libnss-winbind:amd64        2:4.5.16+dfsg-1                amd64        Samba nameservice integration plugins
< ii  libpam-winbind:amd64        2:4.5.16+dfsg-1                amd64        Windows domain authentication integration plugin
< ii  libwbclient0:amd64          2:4.5.16+dfsg-1                amd64        Samba winbind client library
< ii  python-samba                2:4.5.16+dfsg-1                amd64        Python bindings for Samba
< ii  samba                       2:4.5.16+dfsg-1                amd64        SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix
< ii  samba-common                2:4.5.16+dfsg-1                all          common files used by both the Samba server and client
< ii  samba-common-bin            2:4.5.16+dfsg-1                amd64        Samba common files used by both the server and the client
< ii  samba-dsdb-modules          2:4.5.16+dfsg-1                amd64        Samba Directory Services Database
< ii  samba-libs:amd64            2:4.5.16+dfsg-1                amd64        Samba core libraries
< ii  samba-vfs-modules           2:4.5.16+dfsg-1                amd64        Samba Virtual FileSystem plugins
< ii  winbind                     2:4.5.16+dfsg-1                amd64        service to resolve user and group information from Windows NT servers
---
> ii  libnss-winbind:amd64        2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        Samba nameservice integration plugins
> ii  libpam-krb5:amd64           4.7-4                          amd64        PAM module for MIT Kerberos
> ii  libpam-winbind:amd64        2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        Windows domain authentication integration plugin
> ii  libsmbclient:amd64          2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        shared library for communication with SMB/CIFS servers
> ii  libwbclient0:amd64          2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        Samba winbind client library
> ii  python-samba                2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        Python bindings for Samba
> ii  samba                       2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix
> ii  samba-common                2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         all          common files used by both the Samba server and client
> ii  samba-common-bin            2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        Samba common files used by both the server and the client
> ii  samba-dsdb-modules          2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        Samba Directory Services Database
> ii  samba-libs:amd64            2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        Samba core libraries
> ii  samba-vfs-modules           2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        Samba Virtual FileSystem plugins
> ii  smbclient                   2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        command-line SMB/CIFS clients for Unix
> ii  winbind                     2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        service to resolve user and group information from Windows NT servers

diff graz-dc-sem.info2.txt villach-dc-1a.info2.txt
2,24c2,17
< ii  acl                         2.2.52-3+b1                    amd64        Access control list utilities
< ii  attr                        1:2.4.47-2+b2                  amd64        Utilities for manipulating filesystem extended attributes
< ii  krb5-config                 2.6                            all          Configuration files for Kerberos Version 5
< ii  krb5-user                   1.15-1+deb9u1                  amd64        basic programs to authenticate using MIT Kerberos
< ii  libacl1:amd64               2.2.52-3+b1                    amd64        Access control list shared library
< ii  libattr1:amd64              1:2.4.47-2+b2                  amd64        Extended attribute shared library
< ii  libgssapi-krb5-2:amd64      1.15-1+deb9u1                  amd64        MIT Kerberos runtime libraries - krb5 GSS-API Mechanism
< ii  libkrb5-3:amd64             1.15-1+deb9u1                  amd64        MIT Kerberos runtime libraries
< ii  libkrb5support0:amd64       1.15-1+deb9u1                  amd64        MIT Kerberos runtime libraries - Support library
> [...]
> ii  python-samba                2:4.5.6+dfsg-1               amd64        Python bindings for Samba
> ii  samba                       2:4.5.6+dfsg-1               amd64        SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix
> ii  samba-common                2:4.5.6+dfsg-1               all          common files used by both the Samba server and client
> ii  samba-common-bin            2:4.5.6+dfsg-1               amd64        Samba common files used by both the server and the client
> ii  samba-dsdb-modules          2:4.5.6+dfsg-1               amd64        Samba Directory Services Database
> ii  samba-libs:amd64            2:4.5.6+dfsg-1               amd64        Samba core libraries
> ii  winbind                     2:4.5.6+dfsg-1               amd64        service to resolve user and group information from Windows NT servers

diff villach-dc-1a.info2.txt villach-dc-bis.info2.txt
2,17c2,24
> [...]
> ii  samba-common                   2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         all          common files used by both the Samba server and client
> ii  samba-common-bin               2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        Samba common files used by both the server and the client
> ii  samba-dsdb-modules             2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        Samba Directory Services Database
> ii  samba-libs:amd64               2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        Samba core libraries
> ii  samba-vfs-modules              2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        Samba Virtual FileSystem plugins
> ii  smbclient                      2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        command-line SMB/CIFS clients for Unix
> ii  winbind                        2:4.5.16+dfsg-1+deb9u2         amd64        service to resolve user and group information from Windows NT servers

For all DCs you need to fix/align the packages.
apt-get install samba samba-libs samba-vfs-modules samba-dsdb-modules winbind ldb-tools acl attr

Optional but adviced: (sso) ssh logins: apt-get install libnss-winbind libpam-winbind libpam-krb5
Optional but adviced:  Client tools: apt-get install smbclient

And your probely are missing this file on most of your servers.
one i can add also to my script.

/usr/share/pam-configs/winbind

echo "Name: Winbind NT/Active Directory authentication
Default: yes
Auth-Type: Primary
Auth:
        [success=end default=ignore]    pam_winbind.so krb5_auth krb5_ccache_type=FILE cached_login try_first_pass
Auth-Initial:
        [success=end default=ignore]    pam_winbind.so krb5_auth krb5_ccache_type=FILE cached_login
Account-Type: Primary
Account:
        [success=end new_authtok_reqd=done default=ignore]      pam_winbind.so
Password-Type: Primary
Password:
        [success=end default=ignore]    pam_winbind.so try_authtok try_first_pass
Password-Initial:
        [success=end default=ignore]    pam_winbind.so
Session-Type: Additional
Session:
        optional                        pam_winbind.so
" > /usr/share/pam-configs/winbind

And enable/disable it with: pam-auth-update
If needed, and you probely need it for ssh logins, select/enable winbind.

After this is done on all the DC's then i have 2 more things.

How are you replication sysvol?

How are you syncing the time between all DC'.s  ( and again need to add that also to the script. )

Here i have only one advice.
Make sure the time sources on all DCs are the same.
And ntp.pool.org is not the same, textwise yes, ip wise no.
I have seen more then 5 min differnces in the past.
Here i suggest, use the NTP of you internet provider.

What i now suggest, you have these files, as in these :XXXXX.info2.txt  for all servers.
Use these and diff between the servers.

Now beside the above changes which need to be done first.
Next will be.

More standardization of you smb.conf for all servers.
Your setup with the includes are good, but the settings are a bit off.
And with off i mean, not wrong, but different, but this can cause problems.
SO the more these are the same the less problems.
And, keep site/server specific differences in these site includes, thats good.

And some comments below in between.

What you her is fine, but resolv.conf on the DCs need to resolve to the DC's.
Then you can add the ip of the dnsmask forwarder in the smb.conf
Now, these are different also.

> > For every DC and per site, you have 2 sites correct?
>
> 2 physical sites (192.168.17/24 and 192.168.16/24) in
> different subnets,
> but they're organized as a single logical site in AD and
> VPN'd together via default gateway.

I've dont same here..  I have one site but 4 subdomains and 6 subnets.
Now, that VPN part, keep that in mind, after all things are done i have questions about that one also.
But lets not do that all at once.

> > I suggest, per site, 2 DC of the same site, 1 DC of the
> remote as backup.
> > Look at this, explanation is below it. The DC1 with fsmo.
> >
> > Now the 2 resolv.conf examples and /etc/hosts file, should
> make sure your hostname and dnsdomain is correct.
> > As shown per example this needs to be correct before we do
> anything else, and yes, fix this for every server.
>
> Should be fixed now.
>
> > For the replication.
> > You see, i've kept in both resolv.conf files DC1 as first,
> you need this for the first replication.
> > After a reboot and at least 15 min-30 main waiting, on DC2,
> switch the DC1 and DC2 lines and set DC2 first.
> > And this is for every server needed. I wont hurt if DC1
> stays first, but that could overload DC1 on DNS requests.
>
> Shouldn't be an issue with how few clients are involved here, but I'll
> keep an eye on it.

The dnsmask should help in avoiding that.

> > For all DC's and members, all you need: ( i install
> krb5-user, define the REALM and keep everythings default.
> > So this is sufficient.  ( yes only that one default_realm
> line, others are defaults )
> >
> > /etc/krb5.conf
> > [libdefaults]
> >         default_realm = AD.TAO.AT
> >
> > Except, i noticed,
> > 	.tao.at = AD.TAO.AT
> > 	tao.at = AD.TAO.AT
> > That might need some more explanation why you added it.
> > That helps me understanding your setup. SSO login with
> users email adresses maybe?
>
> Legacy setup had our domain on tao.at directly, I think we needed that
> to smooth over the transition. But that was years ago and shouldn't be
> needed any more.

Good, verify it and if its not needed remove it.

> > /etc/nsswitch.conf
> > passwd:         files winbind
> > group:          files winbind
> > shadow:         files 			< winbind removed here.
>
> Fixed too, probably.
>
> > /etc/samba/smb.conf
> > 	ldap ssl = start tls
> > 	ldap ssl ads = yes
> > These are not supported in the AD setup. These are for an
> NT4DOM/ PDC/BDC setup with ldap.
>
> Might want to actually document that somewhere, this isn't clear from
> either wiki nor manpage.

.. I think its "not clear" but work is done/will be done to improve that.

> > And i like how you did split up the global part and the
> "real" server config part.
> > One im going to use also..  So noo, not only bad thin, also
> good things..
> >
> > I noticed also:
> > 	#FIXME: Temporary to fix PHP shit
> > 	ldap server require strong auth = no
> >
> > # explain this to me, can offlist if needed.
>
> Some horribly obsolete PHP5 LDAP library breaks with SSL, as a
> workaround we're SSH tunneling it until we can kill it. Which
> *hopefully* should be sometimes this month anyway, so no
> point in fixing it now.

Hm, your using debian stretch, then why are you useing jessie's php5?
Old web app that needed php5?

Stretch its default is php7.0
One that might help fixing that php5-ldap bug is, use the surg.org packages.
https://tecadmin.net/install-php-debian-9-stretch/
Just a suggestion, you can run php5.6 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 on stretch.
It works the same, but it might fix the bug in 5.6.
Just... DONT install that now, first fix all samba things.