[Samba] dsdb_access Access check failed on CN=Configuration

Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com
Wed May 22 19:09:33 UTC 2019

----- On May 22, 2019, at 1:00 PM, samba samba at lists.samba.org wrote:

> On 22/05/2019 18:24, Mike Ray wrote:
>> Poking around on this further, I believe the LMHOSTS error does not matter.
>>
>> The smb directive "name resolve order" defaults to "lmhosts wins host bcast" --
>> so I believe the file no found error is just because it's trying lmhosts first,
>> not finding the file and then moving on.
>>
>> Eventually it hits "host" resolution and uses /etc/hosts to resolve the name.
>>
>> Changing the directive so that "host" is first and then re-running the command
>> just removes the lmhosts errors; however the "ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception -
>> LDAP error 32 LDAP_NO_SUCH_OBJECT - <dsdb_access: Access check failed ..." is
>> still present.
>>
>> ----- On May 22, 2019, at 11:52 AM, Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com wrote:
>>
>>> Setting the log level to 10 shows this blurp in the output of the ldapcmp
>>> command:
>>>
>>> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name
>>> dc3.otherinternaldomain.local<0x20>
>>> startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /etc/samba/lmhosts. Error was No such file
>>> or directory
>>> ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - LDAP error 32 LDAP_NO_SUCH_OBJECT -
>>> <dsdb_access: Access check failed on CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=local> <>
>>>

>>> I can confirm that file does not exist.
>>>
>>> It is interesting that it is looking for the 'otherinternaldomain.local' instead
>>> of just 'domain.local'.
>>>
>>> However, removing that entry from /etc/hosts does not change the output of the
>>> command.
>
> Your Samba AD DC's are all authoritative for the AD dns domain and they
> should only know about computers etc that are in their domain. The
> computer 'dc3.otherinternaldomain.local' is not the same computer as
> 'dc3.domain.local', anything outside the 'domain.local' domain, which
> 'dc3.otherinternaldomain.local' is, should be forwarded to a dns server
> outside the AD domain, but I fear this will not work in this case,
> because 'dc3.otherinternaldomain.local' probably doesn't really exist.

I want 'dc3.otherinternaldomain.local' and 'dc3.domain.local' to resolve to the same computer so computers outside the domain can do things like ldapsearch. As I thought about it though, we have separate DNS servers that handle 'otherinternaldomain.local' and so I have removed the local /etc/hosts record as the DC doesn't need to self-resolve it.

> You have confirmed (by the ldapsearch) that the record exists, so the
> problem is possibly dns related.
>
> You shouldn't need those GUID records in /etc/hosts, so have you read
> this wikipage:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Verifying_and_Creating_a_DC_DNS_Record
>
> If dns is correct, when you join a DC, all the required dns records
> should be created by samba_dnsupdate, but if the GUID record isn't
> created (and it wasn't at one time) then it fails.

I have read that wiki page before -- but I went ahead and verified all the HOST and CNAME records just to be paranoid; they are all there.