[Samba] Fw: Btrfs Samba and Quotas

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 21 20:55:17 UTC 2019

On 21/05/2019 21:00, Hendrik Friedel wrote:

> > What I was trying to say was (and failing, it would seem), this is a
> two way street
> > and if OMV cannot/will not help you, then it is hard to fix,
>
> What is OMV specific here? Isn't the problem fully included already in
> linux (=kernel) and samba?
>
> > especially now that Jeremy has pointed out that it cannot be fixed
> as is. Now this
> > doesn't mean it can never be fixed, throw enough money and man hours
> at it
> > and a workaround can probably be found
>
> Here, I could imagine that linking with linux-btrfs would be worthwhile.
>
> > but this would undoubtedly entail OMV getting involved
>
> Why? OMV merely writes the smb.conf...

You raised the OMV distro, not me and also said that they were moving to
only use btrfs with their next major release. You also said that they
wouldn't/couldn't help you. You stand more chance of getting a
workaround with help from a distro. This is because your problem isn't
really a Samba problem, quotas work on Samba, just not with btrfs.

Rowland