[Samba] Fw: Btrfs Samba and Quotas

Hendrik Friedel hendrik at friedels.name
Tue May 21 20:00:55 UTC 2019

Hello,

 >> In my impression: Yes. Also, this problem seems to affect also zfs
and

 > I'm mostly interested in the claim that ZFS is affected.
 > I haven't followed this thread carefully, but what exactly is the problem we're
 > talking about, and how do we know it impacts ZFS?
 > [Something more than a single one-liner in that bug report?]

Indeed, I only find that one line. I can try to find out.

 > Is the extent of the issue that quotas won't work, while enforced from Samba
 > against a ZFS volume?
 >
 > Can someone perhaps enlighten me? :)

The explaination is:

 > That's because the concept of a btrfs "subvolume" completely
 > breaks the POSIX idioms that smbd depends on.

And wouldn't that also be applicable to zfs?

>  At least I hope you can understand why some bug reports seem to take forever to get fixed, it is all down to priorities, the highest  priority ones get fixed first,

Yes, I understand that.

 > What I was trying to say was (and failing, it would seem), this is a
two way street
 > and if OMV cannot/will not help you, then it is hard to fix,

What is OMV specific here? Isn't the problem fully included already in linux (=kernel) and samba?

 > especially now that Jeremy has pointed out that it cannot be fixed as is. Now this
 > doesn't mean it can never be fixed, throw enough money and man hours at it
 > and a workaround can probably be found

Here, I could imagine that linking with linux-btrfs would be worthwhile.

 > but this would undoubtedly entail OMV getting involved

Why? OMV merely writes the smb.conf...

Greetings,
Hendrik