[Samba] Debugging Samba is a total PITA and this needs to improve

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue May 21 15:04:36 UTC 2019

Hai,

Ok, that i dont know. So a good reason to use it.

Old but shows enough: https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/old/Samba3-HOWTO/rights.html
And  : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/secauthz/privileges

> >> Sure, but not really relevant here, since the member server broke
> >> authentication for all client OSes, not just Windows clients.
> >> `smbclient
> >> -L //localhost` and `wbinfo -a` are just as broken on that
> >> member server.
> >
> > smbclient -L //localhost ????  Come on...
>
> It has the same results as Windows Explorer and wbinfo -a.
Yes, same in what you "see" but not same in how thing go in the background what you dont see..

> > I'm always amazed how a "localhost" test is compaired with
> a client (remote) test.
> > Again , localhost =! Hostname
> >
> > smbclient -L //hostname.fdqn
> > smbclient -L //hostname
>
> Same results: Some users work, some don't. Same users affected.

Same users are still only windows clients?
And how are these logging in with : DOM\user or user at REALM ?

> >> Given that DRS replication and DNS are so broken, what'd
> be the best
> >> approach for that? Nuke all DCs except the FSMO role holder,
> >> update that
> >> one, then add new DCs? Or just export all LDAP data and start
> >> over from  a clean 4.10 setup?
> >
> > I dont think its broken, i think its functioning wrong due
> to wrong settings.
>
> Yes, you always think that. ;)

And you dont know how often im right here..

> > Yes, clean setup is nice but not needed really.
> >
> > Make sure you review and have smb.conf adjusted to the
> version of samba your willing to run.
> > Review: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba
>
> Sure, that says:
>
> >      Verify that the directory replication between all DCs
> is working correctly:
>
> That's already broken before the update:
>
> https://up.tao.at/u/samba/graz-dc-sem.txt (FSMO role holder)
> https://up.tao.at/u/samba/graz-dc-1b.txt
> https://up.tao.at/u/samba/villach-dc-1a.txt
> https://up.tao.at/u/samba/villach-dc-bis.txt
>
> Similarly, if I do "samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs" without yet
> upgrading, to see in what state the DBs are:
>
> https://up.tao.at/u/samba/graz-dc-sem-dbcheck.txt
> https://up.tao.at/u/samba/graz-dc-1b-dbcheck.txt
> https://up.tao.at/u/samba/villach-dc-1a-dbcheck.txt
> https://up.tao.at/u/samba/villach-dc-bis-dbcheck.txt
>
> Doesn't look particularly healthy to me.

No, but its not that bad as far i can see.

Argg. I have to to thing here now, move workspaces..

Sync graz-dc-sem to VILLACH-DC-BIS ( full sync )
Reboot: VILLACH-DC-BIS
Wait 5 min, check again.

Verify this GUID: e70407fd-019e-42f8-a60d-4504d2df230c
In zone _msdc. Check it compleet.

<GUID=e1569c90-50f9-4bb5-bd85-79145e3ff6fd>;CN=NTDS Settings,CN=VILLACH-DC-BIS,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=ad,DC=tao,DC=at
Not fixing old string component	<< old ... ( keyword )
Diffent GUIDs

I expect that your problem for the sinc is in that area..

I have to go.
I nobody help you out today, i'll help you tomorrow while i'll build new samba packages..

Sofar,

Greetzz,

Louis

Ps. You should have updated/cleanup you config a bit more since nov 2017. i hardly changed..