[Samba] Debugging Samba is a total PITA and this needs to improve

Aurélien Aptel aaptel at suse.com
Tue May 21 13:32:00 UTC 2019

Sven Schwedas via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> writes:
> Once again, something with Samba thirty bazillion components broke. Once
> again, my choices for logging are "nothing" or "15 MB/s spread of ten
> different files, because 'client authentication failed' totally needs to
> be lower priority than malloc debug info". Once again, none of these
> messages is actually able to convey what broke, where, why. Why is it

Regarding the huge and verbose logs: I can suggest you smblog-mode[1],
it's not really a solution and it's kind of made for emacs users but it
makes sorting thru logs less painful.

It looks like this [2]. You can filter log levels dynamically with + and
-, expand/collapse messages with TAB, highlight all messages printed
between receiving a request and sending its response, etc.

I have another tool smbcmp [3] you can use to compare SMB captures which
can be useful e.g. if something works from a machine and not from
another.

As a side note: I'm doing a talk on smb debugging at next sambaxp to
show how these are used.

1: https://github.com/aaptel/smblog-mode
2: https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/attachments/20160315/4a04dddf/smblog3-0001.png
3: https://github.com/aaptel/smbcmp

Cheers,
--
Aurélien Aptel / SUSE Labs Samba Team
GPG: 1839 CB5F 9F5B FB9B AA97  8C99 03C8 A49B 521B D5D3