[Samba] Debugging Samba is a total PITA and this needs to improve

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Tue May 21 12:29:49 UTC 2019

On 21.05.19 14:16, Rowland penny via samba wrote:> You need to
investigate your DB problems

Great, but how?

> I see no reason to have different smb.conf files for different Unix
> domain members, just don't have 'netbios name' in any smb.conf.

There's also share definitions in the files which I omitted, which are
the actual meat of the config files.

> You will also be better better off having 'vfs objects = acl_xattr' in
> your smb.conf and setting the permissions from Windows.

Will that work when half the clients aren't Windows to begin with, and
ACLs still need to work when people can SSH into the server?

> What is the point of this:
>
>     winbind max domain connections = 32
>
> If you also have:
>
>     winbind offline logon = yes

Will it hurt?

> Finally and what could be contributing to your problem:
>
> This could be set too high:
>     winbind expand groups = 4

Why would that suddenly break after working for years, when the deepest
nesting we actually see is 1?

And going by smb.conf, at most it could lead to timeouts, which is not
the problem we're seeing?

This is *exactly* what I meant with bike shedding. "This has nothing to
do with your problem, but let's waste days on this anyway, it's not
*our* prod environment that's offline in the meantime" is really not a
great attitude.

Sven Schwedas, Systemadministrator
✉ sven.schwedas at tao.at | ☎ +43 680 301 7167
TAO Digital   | Teil der TAO Beratungs- & Management GmbH
Lendplatz 45  | FN 213999f/Klagenfurt, FB-Gericht Villach
A8020 Graz    | https://www.tao-digital.at