[Samba] Debugging Samba is a total PITA and this needs to improve

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 21 10:47:15 UTC 2019

On 21/05/2019 11:20, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Now, add to this the problem Rowland and i are looking into, found recently.
> A "renamed" computer, might have or is missing or has wrong settings in AD.
> A common problem we found yesterday, that also exists in windows itself and caused by windows clients.
> And these found bugs found in windows are inherreted in samba, not always.. But in this case it is.

To add to this, if you rename a domain computer on Windows, you do not
get the following changed in the Samba AD object:

dn, cn, name and distinguishedname

Whilst if you use ldbrename on an AD DC, exactly the opposite happens
and you cannot tell the difference by examining the computer object.

The main problem I have with this is, is this a windows problem or a
Samba problem ? I cannot find anything that definitely says that when
you rename a computer, everything should be changed. Lots of webpages
that infer this is the case, but nothing that shows a computer object
before and after a rename, or lists what should be changed.

Rowland