[Samba] Debugging Samba is a total PITA and this needs to improve

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue May 21 10:20:40 UTC 2019

Hai Sven,

I do agree on somepoint here, but not all.

First off all, samba does produce usefull reporting info.
Depending on log levels you have set. ( man smb.conf /log level ).

And then again we always have to ask, can you show the smb.conf.
Not that i dont believe you have wrong setting but because i must see you have good setttings.

And the problem is not always/only samba, keep in mind that the current windows updates are not as stable as years ago.
My personal opinion here, current windows updates are really bad in quality, but why is this...
This is because MS is testing on users computers, that simple.
You dont believe this..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\current\device\System
The key used: (AllowExperimentation)

About, client authentication failed...
Windows 10, and are use useing SMB1 then disable the autoremove of smb1 in windows10.
Dont forget, i use windows since windows 2.1, i've seen enough with windows.

The current changes pointing at NTLM V1/V2 a lot has been done by MS and Samba.

Simple things changed.. For example
https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/3181029/smb-file-server-share-access-is-unsuccessful-through-dns-cname-alias

I would preffer also to see a clear difference in settings in manuals for
samba-AD-DC
samba-AD-Member-file server
samba-AD-Member-Print server
samba-AD-Member-authonly server

Samba-NT4-PDC
Samba-NT4-BDC
Samba-NT4-Member

Samba-Standalone

Now, add to this the problem Rowland and i are looking into, found recently.
A "renamed" computer, might have or is missing or has wrong settings in AD.
A common problem we found yesterday, that also exists in windows itself and caused by windows clients.
And these found bugs found in windows are inherreted in samba, not always.. But in this case it is.

Sorry if you feel bad about this but we are here to help, in such cases.

So if you have ideas to improve the debugging.

This is on github.
https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/blob/master/samba-collect-debug-info.sh
Fork/add you parts.

And yes, the script really helps in quicker finding the problems.
You can ask that here at list users..

So far.. Time to lunch..

Greetz,

Louis