[Samba] self compiled 4.10.3 replication failure.

vincent at cojot.name vincent at cojot.name
Tue May 21 03:19:40 UTC 2019

On Mon, 20 May 2019, Tom Diehl via samba wrote:

> So what happens when 4.11 is released? The release notes clearly state that
> 4.11 will not have python2 support. Doing as you suggest only kicks the can
> down the road. My gut feeling is if I am going to stay with python2 I might
> as well stay with 4.9. Honestly I would rather get this sorted out sooner than
> later unless of course someone from the samba team says I am wasting my time.

Hi Tom, Yes, that's a very legitimate opinion: I'm only kicking the can
(python2) as far as I can because that 'can' is native to RHEL7. When 4.11
gets released, if I still want to run on RHEL7, I'll probably have to
ditch those builds and join the python3-builds that Niko Kadel-Garcia and
a few others are producing -or- upgrade to RHEL8 (to consume native
python3 there). I wonder which of the two might be the lesser of
those two evils.. :)

> Different strokes for different folks suppose. :-)
>
> Given that I have been running self compiled versions of samba in production
> since 4.7.0 I am inclined to continue down that road. I agree that rpms might
> be better but ansible does a great job ensuring I build all of my DC's the
> same
> way each and every time.

IMHO, the best solution to a problem is that which works best for the
user. So if life without packages is what's best for you, then godspeed to
you. :)

On a side note, looking at the dicussions from those past few weeks, one
can hardly say that el7/centos7 is a minor platform for Samba. I think
we've seen at least 4 or 5 different teams/people building samba on those
linux distros and using receipes of their own. :)

Long live diversity, :)

Vincent S. Cojot, Computer Engineering. STEP project. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Comite Micro-Informatique. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,.
Linux Xview/OpenLook resources page _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'
http://step.polymtl.ca/~coyote  _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._ coyote at NOSPAM4cojot.name

They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars - on stars where no human race is
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.       - Robert Frost