[Samba] Fw: Btrfs Samba and Quotas

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 20 19:15:04 UTC 2019

On 20/05/2019 19:47, Hendrik Friedel wrote:
> Hello,

>>> Ah, yes.
>>> OMV intended to move to btrfs as the only choice with the next
>>> version. In order to pave the way, I intended to be an early
>>> adopter. The problem I report here, that there is good reason to.
>> For you perhaps, but if OMV will not help, well......
> What do you mean? [there was a 'shows' missing. It shoult have read
> 'shows that there is good reas on to']

What I was trying to say was (and failing, it would seem), this is a two
way street and if OMV cannot/will not help you, then it is hard to fix,
especially now that Jeremy has pointed out that it cannot be fixed as
is. Now this doesn't mean it can never be fixed, throw enough money and
man hours at it and a workaround can probably be found, but this would
undoubtedly entail OMV getting involved .
>> That sort of says a lot, if it was that big a problem and multiple
>> users were complaining, then it probably would get fixed, but there
>> are only so many developers and they have only so much time available
>> to fix things and add new features, so the most important things get
>> fixed first. We do, however, accept patches to fix things, so perhaps
>> you can get together with OMV and fix it from your end ;-)
> I fear, that's beyond my skills.
>
> Well, I did my best.

  At least I hope you can understand why some bug reports seem to take
forever to get fixed, it is all down to priorities, the highest
priority ones get fixed first, unless one annoys a user enough that they
put their hand in their pocket and they pay someone to get it fixed.

Rowland