[Samba] SRV records.

A. James Lewis james at fsck.co.uk
Sun May 19 10:46:52 UTC 2019

OK, fair point... perhaps I wasn't clear enough, this happens a lot...
probably my brain just operates on a different wavelength.... in my
original message I said "what method does it use to decide which is the
correct (most local?) domain controller to connect to"

The answer I got was "it uses sites, you need to set up sites"... the
answer I was hoping for was one of

a) "If your AD controller has sites set up, and you do the SRV lookup
against the AD controllers own DNS server then it will send you only
local AD controllers based on the source subnet of the DNS query"

or

b) "If your AD controller has sites set up,then there will be some
broadcast magic happening from the AD controller informing the clients
how to prioritize the AD servers returned from the SRV query"

or

c) /something else/

Having read the samba wiki article on sites you linked (Thanks muchly),
and the microsoft technet it references, I'm now even more confused,
since you stated that nothing needs to be done at the client and it
works exactly like a windows client... and that samba does not support
sites (which in light of the earlier comment, I took to mean that
support for sites is not in the client).

However, the technet article states that "When a client requests a
domain controller, it provides its site name to DNS."... which implies
that there must be some support in the client... and the Samba Wiki
article suggests that this information is encoded into the SRV query,
under a "sites" subdomain, which also implies that the client is
complicit, and must know it's site name.

Finally, the original comment is that it does not work if I query via a
BIND nameserver, which seems not to make sense if it's just encoded in a
subdomain, a'la
"_ldap._tcp._MySite_._sites.dc._msdcs.samdom.example.com". This makes me
think that there must be a "site =" parameter in the smb.conf.

I hope it's clear why I'm confused.... and I apologize if I contributed
to said confusion.

James