[Samba] SRV records.

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat May 18 22:15:58 UTC 2019

On 18/05/2019 22:43, A. James Lewis via samba wrote:
> I'm sure the Windows admins have set up the "Sites" as required... but
> when trying to resolve issues with logon, the Windows admins are
> assuming that Samba doesn't support "sites" and blaming that for the
> issue... so, I'm hoping someone will tell me how the client determines
> the correct site, and the AD controllers in that site, and ultimately if
> Samba/Winbind should support it.  Obviously also anything we might be
> doing which would cause it not to work.

Unless you have asked them to set up sites, all your domain computers
will be in the 'Default-First-Site-Name' site. A 'site' will need to be
created and then all your computers moved into this site. Samba does
support sites and it works the same way as on Windows, so just tell your
Windows sysadmins to forget the Linux bit and set AD as if they were all
Windows computers.

Depending on what version your Windows DC's are, it might just be easier
to join a Samba DC to the domain and do it yourself.

Rowland