[Samba] Fw: Btrfs Samba and Quotas

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat May 18 16:35:31 UTC 2019

On 18/05/2019 14:19, Hendrik Friedel wrote:
> Hello
>
>> No, probably a lack of users using your combination of Samba, btrfs
>> and quotas.
> I would have thought that btrfs is becoming more mainstream now. And
> then, Samba and Quotas should be rather common...

Is btrfs becoming more common ?

>> Of course, more info may help, what is in your smb.conf etc.
> Added at the end of this mail.
>
>> Why are you using a filesystem that your OS doesn't officially support ?
> That implies, that it would be better with any other OS. Are you
> saying, that this is a known samba bug, that has been fixed, but the
> fix has just not yet made it into Debian? Otherwise, I don't
> understand the background of the question.
> Appart from that:
> Btrfs support was introduced in DebianSqueeze
> <https://wiki.debian.org/DebianSqueeze>.

You posted this:

I am using Openmediavault (debian based NAS distribution), which is not
actively supporting btrfs

It is this that I was referring to.

> > I tried brtfs several times together with samba and (sorry to say this)
> > it just a pain in the a.. Never use it together with quotas or CTDB it
> > will crash after short time. I only take xfs and have no problem at
> all.
> > I don't know wy, but it's not good idea to user brtfs with samba.
>
> Well, as long as this is not being reported and being improved, it
> will remain that way...

Possibly, but it works great with ext4
> > I wonder, are your clients Linux or Windows systems?
> Windows (10)
>
> > I wonder if upgrading servers may not be so wise.
> What do you mean by that?
>
> Regards,
> Hendrik
>

> cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
> #======================= Global Settings =======================
> [global]
> workgroup = WORKGROUP
> server string = %h server
> dns proxy = no
> log level = 1
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> max log size = 1000
> logging = syslog
> panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
> encrypt passwords = true
> passdb backend = tdbsam
> obey pam restrictions = no
> unix password sync = no
> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
> pam password change = yes
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
> guest account = nobody
> load printers = no
> disable spoolss = yes
> printing = bsd
> printcap name = /dev/null
> unix extensions = yes
> wide links = no
> create mask = 0777
> directory mask = 0777
> use sendfile = yes
> aio read size = 16384
> aio write size = 16384
> local master = yes
> time server = no
> wins support = no
>

> [Dokumente]
> path = /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DataPool1/Dokumente
> guest ok = no
> read only = no
> browseable = yes
> inherit acls = yes
> inherit permissions = no
> ea support = no
> store dos attributes = no
> vfs objects =
> printable = no
> create mask = 0664
> force create mode = 0664
> directory mask = 0775
> force directory mode = 0775
> hide special files = yes
> follow symlinks = yes
> hide dot files = yes
> valid users = "henfri"
> invalid users =
> read list =
> write list = "henfri"

I suggest you sit down with a copy of 'man smb.conf' and remove all the
default lines, then add either 'security = user' or 'server role =
standalone server', you will also have to remove 'unix password sync =
no' and create users (with passwords) to get your Standalone Server
working correctly.

Rowland