[Samba] Fw: Btrfs Samba and Quotas

Hendrik Friedel hendrik at friedels.name
Sat May 18 13:19:26 UTC 2019

Hello

>No, probably a lack of users using your combination of Samba, btrfs and quotas.
I would have thought that btrfs is becoming more mainstream now. And
then, Samba and Quotas should be rather common...

>Of course, more info may help, what is in your smb.conf etc.
Added at the end of this mail.

>Why are you using a filesystem that your OS doesn't officially support ?
That implies, that it would be better with any other OS. Are you saying,
that this is a known samba bug, that has been fixed, but the fix has
just not yet made it into Debian? Otherwise, I don't understand the
background of the question.
Appart from that:
Btrfs support was introduced in DebianSqueeze
<https://wiki.debian.org/DebianSqueeze>.

 > I tried brtfs several times together with samba and (sorry to say this)
 > it just a pain in the a.. Never use it together with quotas or CTDB it
 > will crash after short time. I only take xfs and have no problem at all.
 > I don't know wy, but it's not good idea to user brtfs with samba.

Well, as long as this is not being reported and being improved, it will remain that way...

 > I wonder, are your clients Linux or Windows systems?
Windows (10)

 > I wonder if upgrading servers may not be so wise.
What do you mean by that?

Regards,
Hendrik

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
#======================= Global Settings =======================
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = %h server
dns proxy = no
log level = 1
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
logging = syslog
encrypt passwords = true
passdb backend = tdbsam
obey pam restrictions = no
unix password sync = no
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
pam password change = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
guest account = nobody
load printers = no
disable spoolss = yes
printing = bsd
printcap name = /dev/null
unix extensions = yes
wide links = no
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
use sendfile = yes
aio read size = 16384
aio write size = 16384
local master = yes
time server = no
wins support = no

[Dokumente]
path = /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DataPool1/Dokumente
guest ok = no
read only = no
browseable = yes
inherit acls = yes