[Samba] Moving home directories to another location leads to NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing

realShadowhunter at gmx.net realShadowhunter at gmx.net
Fri May 17 19:33:07 UTC 2019

OK. That helped to understand how samba manages users. I looked at the details of my users. Both, user1 and user2, are defined exactly the same way. User1's home directory is set to \\debianhomeserver\user1 and user2's home directory is set to \\debianhomeserver\user2. Accessing user1's home directory which is still in /home/user1 works fine, user2's home directory, which was moved to /mnt/volume1/homes/user2 does not.

Can I provide anything else that might allow you to help me solving that mystery?

On 17/05/2019 19:28, realShadowhunter--- via samba wrote:
> I might not quite understand what you try to say. I am loggin in as user2. The home directory in /etc/passwd is changed to /mnt/volume1/homes/user2. That was automatically adjusted after the usermod command I mentioned earlier. To my understanding, once these items are changed and the user logs in he should have full access to the share.
>
> One thing I want to ask. You mention to change the homedir in Samba. Where? How would that look like? Maybe that is my missing piece.
>

>> Well it probably wouldn't, unless you are connecting as 'user1' or
>> 'user2', they are the only users that will be allowed access. I would
>> have expected some thing like this:
>>
>> [homes]
>>          comment = Home Directories
>>          browseable = no
>>         read only = no
>>         create mask = 0700
>>         directory mask = 0700
>>         valid users = %S
>>
>> You would also have to set the users homedir in /etc/passwd and Samba.
>>
>> Rowland

man pdbedit

Rowland