[Samba] Moving home directories to another location leads to NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED listing

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri May 17 17:47:13 UTC 2019

On 17/05/2019 18:26, realShadowhunter at gmx.net wrote
> [global]
> os level = 20
> obey pam restrictions = yes
> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> unix password sync = yes
> passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
> panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
> workgroup = PRIVAT
> pam password change = yes
> map to guest = bad user
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY
> dns proxy = no
> server role = standalone server
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> max log size = 1000
> usershare allow guests = yes
> syslog = 0
>
> [printers]
>     comment = All Printers
>     browseable = no
>     path = /var/spool/samba
>     printable = yes
>     create mask = 0700
>
> [print$]
>     comment = Printer Drivers
>     path = /var/lib/samba/printers
>
> [Miscellaneous]
> writeable = yes
> valid users = user1
> path = /mnt/volume6
>
> [homes]
> writeable = yes
> valid users = user1,user2
> write list = user1,user2
>
> The smb.conf is pretty much all standard except I synchronize with system users.
Well you would have to, what with it being a 'standalone server' ;-)
> The partitions are mounted on /mnt/volume1 through volume6. These volumes are added into the FSTAB
>

> /dev/md0 /mnt/volume1 ext4 defaults,nofail,discard 0 0
>
> Every mount works fine just the homes one doesn't want to comply :-)

Well it probably wouldn't, unless you are connecting as 'user1' or
'user2', they are the only users that will be allowed access. I would
have expected some thing like this:

[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         browseable = no
         read only = no
         create mask = 0700
         directory mask = 0700
         valid users = %S

You would also have to set the users homedir in /etc/passwd and Samba.

Rowland