[Samba] "getent passwd" works, "getent passwd username" does not RESOLVED

Neil Price nprice at gibb.co.za
Thu May 16 07:42:04 UTC 2019

Well I'm not entirely sure what fixed it. This is a very old system and
has been dragged through dist-upgrades starting from about Lenny.

I went through it removing all the defunct and obsolete stuff and found
rsyslog had somehow uninstalled itself. Reinstalled that and rebooted
and ... voila!

It is now on 4.9, I am unable to install 4.10, it tells me I have held
broken packages, which I don't. This may be specific to the i386 package
or it may just be me.