[Samba] Samba4 changing a user's password from linux workstation

Luc Lalonde Luc.Lalonde at polymtl.ca
Tue May 14 13:35:59 UTC 2019

Hello Rowland,

We’ve been using SSSD with Acitve Directory for a few years now…  It’s been solid for us.

Our Linux clients use the AD-Kerberos via SSSD for secure NFS4 mounts with POSIX attributes defined in AD (uidNumber, gidNumber, unixHomeDirectory, loginShell).

Before putting into production, I tested using Winbind and could not get it to do what I wanted.   If I remember correctly, I had problems with groups.   I didn’t want DOMAIN\groupname…  just groupname to show.   I don’t remember why this was causing me problems… just that this was the main reason.

At the time, I found that the documentation for integrating AD with Linux was best documented… in particular at RedHat:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/windows_integration_guide/summary-direct <https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/windows_integration_guide/summary-direct>

They give further reasons for choosing SSSD over Winbind in that document.

Cheers, Luc.