[Samba] Samba4 changing a user's password from linux workstation

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue May 14 08:19:13 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 3:42 AM Rowland penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 14/05/2019 08:30, Julien TEHERY via samba wrote:

> > Yep I allready tried it, it ends with "kpasswd preauthentication
> > failed getting initial ticket"

What does "klist" say? And can you run "kinit" to ensure you have a
valid ticket? One of my favorite failures is when the time settings
between the local host, and the Samba or AD server, have drifted from
each other. There are a lot of very awkward and inconsistent NTP or
chronyd settings out there, exacerbated when people point NTP to only
one server and that server is inaccessible to one or more hosts.

> > I must precise we use pam_sssd against Samba4/AD to authenticate.
> > Here is my /etc/sssd/sssd.conf:
>

> Hmm, I wonder if sssd is getting in the way ? No idea, we do not produce
> sssd, can I suggest asking on the sssd-users mailing list.
>
> Rowland

I've gotten pretty unhappy with "realmd" and "sssd". They try to hide
a lot of steps away from the user, but the internal interactions are a
bit of a "mousetrap" game. When it works, you get the mouse. But if
any of the many steps are even slightly worn, it becomes erratic or
fails.