[Samba] Can browse files but can't open them

Neil Sands chichestermusicpress at gmail.com
Sat May 11 23:00:40 UTC 2019

Hello

I have a new Debian installation and am trying to open files on another
computer. So far I can browse that other computer by using smb://192.x.x.x
in my file manager (PCManFM). But when I try to open a file for editing, I
can't. Typically what happens instead is that the right application
launches as if to open the file, but it remains empty, i.e. no document
gets loaded.

I notice as well that I don't see a preview of image files in the file
browser, like I do for the computer's own local files.

At the moment if I want to edit a file on the other machine, I have to copy
it to this computer, open and edit it here, and then copy it back. That
works, but I think I ought to be able to open the files in situ.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? Is there a setting to control this
somewhere?

Thanks.