[Samba] 4.10.2 not connecting to (old) NAS

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 8 12:05:45 UTC 2019

On Wed, 8 May 2019 07:08:17 -0400
Phil Dermott <pdermott at rogers.com> wrote:

> Thank you Rowland - adding "ntlm auth = yes" in the global section
> and rebooting the machine has provided access once again to the NAS.

You now need to find out if the NAS can be updated to not use NTLMv1,
as this is very insecure and Windows now has it turned off by default.

> In answer to your questions - the smb.conf was from the PCLOS
> machine. Question - I had tried sec=ntlm in the mount statement
> without it being in the smb.conf - did that not work because ntlmv1
> had not been enabled?

Don't think so, mount.cifs doesn't use the smb.conf, if I remember
correctly, you probably need to add 'vers=1.0'.

> As to the question marks, that is something to do with the mail
> client (Thunderbird) - I do not see the question marks when composing
> the message to send but only see them when the message is distributed
> from the list server.

After a bit of checking, it appears this is something to do with the
character set.

Rowland