[Samba] NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED on a directory I have permission to access

Paul Griffith paulg at eecs.yorku.ca
Mon May 6 14:33:27 UTC 2019

> On Fri, 3 May 2019 15:36:59 +0200
> "L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hai Paul,
>>
>> Look at this: user=paulg,uid=2381
>> (from mount -t cifs //xxxx.xxxx.yorku.ca/homes /tmp/1 -o
>> user=paulg,uid=2381,gid=1000,domain=AD.ONE.EXAMPLE.CA)
>>
>> Now, look at this :
>>> idmap config * : backend = tdb
>>> idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
>>> # - You must set a DOMAIN backend configuration
>>> # idmap config for the ONEEXAMPLECA domain
>>> idmap config ONEEXAMPLECA : backend = rid
>>> idmap config ONEEXAMPLECA : range = 10000-999999
>> What do you notice here. ( the hint is 2381:1000 ) and i would expect
>> to see 10000:10000 or higher. Do you see what i mean? Your UID/GID is
>> a local users one, not AD-DC users.
>>
>> Your ranges are out of sync now, and that your denied is completly
>> correct.
>>
> Good catch Louis, those numbers are even outside the '*' domain, so
> must be a local Unix user and group and how many times do I have to
> say this:
>
> You cannot have local Unix users and groups in /etc/passwd & /etc/group
> and expect them to work on a Samba Unix domain.
>
> If the ID numbers are in AD, then the only reason would be if this is
> a classicupgraded domain (which I personally hate) and if so, the
> ranges in smb.conf will need altering to match.
>
> Rowland

Louis and Rowland,

Thank you both for your suggestions. Why only the mail directory, why
wouldn't I get a permission error on the other directories?

This is a classic upgraded domain. In this situation, what would be ideal..?

1 ) Configure the local builtin accounts?

idmap config *   :  range = 100-999

2) Configure the Domain accounts?

idmap config ONEEXAMPLECA : backend = rid
idmap config ONEEXAMPLECA : range = 1000-999999

Suggestions and links always welcomed :)

Paul

--
Paul Griffith | Computer Systems Coordinator
Electrical Engineering & Computer Science | Lassonde School of Engineering