[Samba] Doman join issues

Praveen Ghimire PGhimire at sundata.com.au
Mon May 6 11:12:17 UTC 2019

Hi Rowland,

Sorry about the confusion. It is Ubuntu 18.04 with Samba 4.7.6

I have a script that installs the following

apt-get install -y acl attr autoconf bind9utils bison build-essential \
  debhelper dnsutils docbook-xml docbook-xsl flex gdb libjansson-dev \
  libacl1-dev libaio-dev libarchive-dev libattr1-dev libblkid-dev libbsd-dev \
  libcap-dev libcups2-dev libgnutls28-dev libjson-perl \
  libldap2-dev libncurses5-dev libpam0g-dev libparse-yapp-perl \
  libpopt-dev libreadline-dev nettle-dev perl perl-modules pkg-config \
  python-all-dev python-crypto python-dbg python-dev python-dnspython \
  python3-dnspython python-markdown python3-markdown \
  python3-dev xsltproc zlib1g-dev liblmdb-dev lmdb-utils libnss-winbind
apt-get install -y krb5-user
apt-get install -y python-gpgme python3-gpgme

I found that the python-gpgme and pythom3-gpgme gave error about dependencies. Apart from I am just installing samba, samba-common and bind9

The current production server (non-AD) is running Ubuntu 16.04 (Samba 4.3.11). Our plan is to run up a new Ubuntu 18.04 server ,transfer the config.  Then let the server run for a few days to make sure everything works fine pre-migration. Then migrate to AD

I have been testing the above in an Ubuntu 18.04 environment. It seems to work i.e. joining machines to domain, accessing shares etc. I then run the classicupgrade. The issues I've highlighted is post the classicupgrade.

To classicupgrade, I followed the document about the upgrade. Basically check duplicate RIDs, remove well know group etc. Then run the following
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_Domain_to_Samba_AD_(Classic_Upgrade)

samba-tool domain classicupgrade --dbdir=/var/lib/samba.PDC/dbdir ....... choosing BIND_DLZ

I've stopped UFW and disabled apparmor

Regards,
Praveen Ghimire