[Samba] classic upgrade woes, ignores realm

Patrick von der Hagen patrick.vdhagen at wiso-tech.de
Sun Mar 31 13:51:49 UTC 2019

> Thought so, did you miss this from:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_Domain_to_Samba_AD_(Classic_Upgrade)
>
> [quote]
>
> This guide is only relevant if you have a Samba NT4-style domain, that
> you want to upgrade to Samba Active Directory!
>
> [/quote]
>
> You do not have an NT4-style domain, you have a standalone server.
>
> You could try changing it to be an actual PDC, the changes are minimal,
> but depending on how many users you have, it might just be easier to
> start with a new AD domain.

I didn't actually miss it, I was simply convinced "yes, that's what I'm
doing". Wasn't aware that "standalone" implies "not NT4-style".

After some more fiddling around, it seems I simply need to add "domain
logons = yes" to my smb.conf and that's it, classic upgrade seems to
work nicely.

Didn't do a proper check and will spent some more time with the lab
setup, but hostname, NetBIOS domain and DNS domain are correct and users
are transferred with their passwords, ldap binds and smbclient work nicely.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards
Patrick