[Samba] classic upgrade woes, ignores realm

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Mar 31 12:51:57 UTC 2019

On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 14:37:44 +0200
Patrick von der Hagen <patrick.vdhagen at wiso-tech.de> wrote:

> Am 31.03.19 um 14:08 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> > On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 13:37:44 +0200
> > Patrick von der Hagen via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I am running samba as a fileserver, having some users (LDAP
> >> backend) and lots of files. No machines ever joined this setup.
> >> Now I want to join some clients, but want to upgrade to AD before
> >> I do that. Configuration is quite old, but had no issues so far.
> >> I've been following
> >> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_Domain_to_Samba_AD_(Classic_Upgrade)
> >>
> >> Since the LDAP backend runs on the old server and blocks ports
> >> 389/636, I want to follow "Upgrading on a new server" and I want to
> >> follow "Domain Controller name" because the new server has a
> >> different name, which should be "DC1".
> >>
> >> The new server ist running Ubuntu 18.10, which provides samba
> >> 4.8.4. Provisioning a new domain works flawless, no issues there.
> >> But I really want to perform an upgrade, migrating users and
> >> groups.
> >>
> >> In smb.conf, "netbios name = DC1" and "workgroup = WORKGROUP",
> >> hostname returns "dc1", hostname -f returns "dc1.samdom.domain.de".
> >>
> >> I prepared a local slapd and copied the samba-databases.
> >>
> >> I start the process like this:
> >>
> >> samba-tool domain classicupgrade --dbdir=/root/samba/
> >> --realm=samdom.domain.de --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL -d
> >> 2 /root/smb.conf
> >>
> >> Output:
> >> smbldap_search_domain_info: Searching
> >> for:[(&(objectClass=sambaDomain)(sambaDomainName=DC1))]
> >> sid S-1-5-21-... does not belong to our domain
> >> Cannot open wins database, Ignoring: [Errno 2] No such file or
> >> directory: '/root/samba/wins.dat'
> >> Adding DomainDN: DC=DC1
> >> DN: DC=DC1 is a NC
> >> Admin password:        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >> Server Role:           standalone server
> >> Hostname:              dc1
> >> NetBIOS Domain:        DC1
> >> DNS Domain:            dc1
> >> DOMAIN SID:            S-1-5-21-2467318493-10260708-2946515883
> >> Cannot open idmap database, Ignoring: [Errno 2] No such file or
> >> directory ...
> >>
> >> Content of /etc/samba/smb.conf (complete!):
> >> [global]
> >>           log level = 2
> >>           netbios name = DC1
> >>           passdb backend = samba_dsdb
> >>           realm = SAMDOM.DOMAIN.DE
> >>           server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap,
> >> kdc, drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
> >>           workgroup = WORKGROUP
> >>           idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
> >>
> >> Obviously, smb.conf is no complete.
> >>
> >> My questions:
> >>
> >> Documentation says, to change "netbios name" before upgrade if you
> >> want to change the domain controller name. But it is used in the
> >> ldap query for sambaDomainName, so currently I have to change it to
> >> WORKGROUP in order to import the LDAP data. How do I fix that?
> >>
> >> "DNS Domain" should be the realm I specified at the commandline?
> [...]

Thought so, did you miss this from:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_Domain_to_Samba_AD_(Classic_Upgrade)

[quote]

This guide is only relevant if you have a Samba NT4-style domain, that
you want to upgrade to Samba Active Directory!

[/quote]

You do not have an NT4-style domain, you have a standalone server.

You could try changing it to be an actual PDC, the changes are minimal,
but depending on how many users you have, it might just be easier to
start with a new AD domain.

Rowland