[Samba] Samba 4.4.8 AD member ads / nss fails to find group id

Thomas, David dt.listmail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 18:37:07 UTC 2019

> You are trying to do your user mapping in the wrong direction.
>
> The nss backend was meant for the old way of doing things, when you
> could have users in /etc/passwd and Samba. Nowadays you have all your
> users in AD and make these into Unix users. The easiest way is to use
> the 'rid' backend, but this will undoubtedly mean your Unix ID's will
> change.
So, is the nss backend no longer supported?

I am dealing with an environment where most of the time users are using
there existing Unix accounts across multiple Unix clients via NFS with
several TB of data and associated backups all using their existing UIDs.
I was hoping to do a quick switch-over to the new system with minimal
disruption. Changing everyone's UID would involve a major disruption.

Thanks,
David.