[Samba] Problem achieving manual synchronisation of idmap.ldb and the associated User and Group ID mappings between two Samba 4 AD DCs

Stephen stephen at ogdenradar.com
Tue Mar 26 13:08:25 UTC 2019

Go on, I give in, what is wrong with the official Samba documentation?

Off the top of my head:
1) Your (ie Samba project) docs are structured a little poorly and
actually pretty hard to follow - eg a single article describes setting
up Samba both with SAMBA_INTERNAL and BIND which is confusing. Two
separate articles, one on each topic would be better!

2) Despite being the official documentation its not free of errors, as I
have just demonstrated. There were two missing essential steps in the
tutorial to add a backup DC to a domain and this is a very fundamental
Samba task. Its like the seconds step in setting up a basic Samba setup.

3) They lacks the clear straightforward step by step approach of
TechMint with screenshots and similar?

4) In practice this means that non-experts cannot / wont be able to use
Samba, even for basic tasks as I am trying to do here. People less
determined than me will give up,
and I am basically dependent upon this (awesome, thanks everyone)
mailing list and its support.

5) You need to get one person to write the docs. Another person should
then separately *verify* the instructions that are given to avoid simple
mistakes.

To be absolutely clear - I am trying to be constructive here and
genunely offer suggestions for improvement. The last thing I want to do
is insult you and the other Samba devotees and your heroic efforts here
on this list Rowland.
At the same time quite a few of the the questions that are asked relate
to pretty basic stuff that wouldn't arise were the official docs clearer
IMHO.

I know you are all volunteers, time is precious, but I think a little
bit more up front work on the docs would payoff in the long run and help
reduce mailing list traffic significantly.

Thanks
Stephen Ellwood