[Samba] Problem achieving manual synchronisation of idmap.ldb and the associated User and Group ID mappings between two Samba 4 AD DCs

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Mar 26 12:50:22 UTC 2019

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 12:33:33 +0000
Stephen via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Roland, Jonathon, what permissions set would you recommend for use
> when syncing SysVol?
>
> I have only found a single tutorial
> (https://www.tecmint.com/samba4-ad-dc-sysvol-replication/) that even
> mentions what permissions should be used when replicating SysVol. ,
> and that suggests using 775 permission set during replication ie:

Go on, I give in, what is wrong with the official Samba documentation ?

> rsync --dry-run -XAavz --chmod=775 --delete-after  --progress
> --stats  /var/lib/samba/sysvol/ root at ad2:/var/lib/samba/sysvol/
>
> Perhaps its just me but that seems an excessively promiscuous?

And it doesn't really matter, the important permissions are dealt with
by the '-XAavz' part, so to answer your question, tecmint got it wrong
(not for the first time either), you do not need to add the
'--chmod=775' part.

Rowland