[Samba] Transfer file server to new DC

Piers Kittel piers at centrefordeaf.org.uk
Mon Mar 25 20:43:39 UTC 2019

Hello all,

Have joined a new DC to an existing active directory consisting of a
sole DC.  So, we now have two domain controllers, the original being
ad.DOMAIN.intranet (192.168.0.17), and the new one being
DOMAIN-ad.DOMAIN.intranet (192.168.0.11).  The old DC is also the file
server - I'm aware this is strongly advised against.  I want the new DC
to become the file server but can't find any instructions online on how
to do this - is it just simply following
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_File_Serving for the new DC and
reverse the instructions for the old DC, syncing everything up and sorted?

Servers are Debian 9 with 4.5.16-Debian, both are identical
software-wise (but definitely not hardware-wise!)

Many thanks!