[Samba] Samba 4.8 Config SMB.Conf File

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 13:00:28 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 8:54 AM Rowland Penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 08:04:45 -0400
> Tyrus Shivers via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > I made the correction to the krb5.conf to remove the duplicate entry
> > and add the DC IPs and it still does not work. No such user.
> >
> > Any other ideas? Any other configs that should be in place?
>
> Hi Tyrus, I just do not understand why it doesn't work for you, it
> should :-(
>
> I will set up a new Centos (I do not have access to RHEL, but Centos is
> RHEL) 7 VM and install a Samba Unix domain member using the 'rid'
> backend. Lets see if it fails for myself ;-)
>
> Rowland

The CentOS configurations are.... interestingly nasty. These days,
CentOS works reasonably well using "realmd", which configures "sssd"
and a set of sub-daemons, to run LDAP and Kerberos based connections.
If you can set up a *brand new* box, can you use the "realm" command
to join the domain? And can you verify what SELinux is not generating
warnings for anything you've set up?

The CentOS config tools such as authconfig and the "realm" command do
not handle krb5.conf nor sssd.conf well because they really don't
handle the broad variety of available configuration options well, and
require fragile manual editing for even the simplest options. They do
allow very simple, basic setups.