[Samba] Migration to samba4 ad and sync to openldap.

Christian Naumer cn at brain-biotech.de
Thu Mar 21 15:25:44 UTC 2019

Am 21.03.19 um 15:50 schrieb John McMonagle via samba:

> That's sounds promising
> How did you migrate your data?

We did the "classicupgrade" as discribed in the wiki.

> Did you need to add any schema to samba4 ad?

No. But this depends of what you have in ldap now. Do you have dhcp-data
in there?

> Were in 5 cities and some of the Internet is not 100% reliable.
> Will need samba4 in each office to make sure they can log in even if the
> Internet is down.
> How reliable is the the ad syncing?

We have 4 DCs and never realy had a Problem. However, reading this list,
this is not always the case it seems.

> Does it need a lot of bandwidth?

I can't comment on that as our DCs are at one site.

> One of the offices with no windows computers has slow dsl.
>
> We will have to reconfigure a lot of computers during conversion.
> I'm thinking if the openldap is not on the same server as samba4 one
> could keep both running for a few days.

The windows machines cant go back if they once saw the AD. With the
linux servers you probably could do it.

> Do you think that's feasible?

We planned very carefully. We did some test migrations of the data in
closed of VMs. Tested each service that we thought could cause problems
in that environment.
Then we migrated 2-3 days before we planned the big switch. Stopped all
password changes so that we didn't have old data. We made the rest of
the switch in one day on a week end. There were 5 Windows Server
domainmembers. About 15 Linux servers with several differnt softwares
(web app with php, cyrus, postfix, lokal auth of users, Samba member
servers, Radius, dhcp, etc). Most of them we tested before as VMs in a
closed of environment.

> I can see some possible issues but think they
> can be dealt with.

Planning is everything. And testing the whole thing too.

Regards

Christian

--
Dr. Christian Naumer
Research Scientist

B.R.A.I.N Aktiengesellschaft
Darmstaedter Str. 34-36, D-64673 Zwingenberg
e-mail cn at brain-biotech.de, homepage www.brain-biotech.de
fon +49-6251-9331-30  /   fax +49-6251-9331-11

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Zwingenberg/Bergstrasse
Registergericht AG Darmstadt, HRB 24758
Vorstand: Dr. Juergen Eck (Vorsitzender), Manfred Bender,
Ludger Roedder
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Dr. Georg Kellinghusen