[Samba] Migration to samba4 ad and sync to openldap.

John McMonagle johnm at advocap.org
Tue Mar 19 20:41:43 UTC 2019

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 14:04:27 -0500
> John McMonagle <johnm at advocap.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm open to alternatives but need to be up and running 24/7 on the
>> linux side.
>> My boss hates windows more than I do and will likely be looking for a
>> new job if I use windows to administer the the linux side.
>> We only use windows if there is no other way do do something.
>>
>> On 3/19/19 12:08 PM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>>> Why do you need a newer Windows version ?
>>
>> Running server 2008 and support is ending soon.
>>> You state you have no Windows workstations.
>>> But you are correct, you need to upgrade, Samba3 is dead, but has
>>> later versions, smbldap-tools is totally dead, there doesn't seem
>>> to be a source website antmore, it just needs a Perl upgrade that
>>> breaks it and you are lost.

>>> So what, most if not all of that could be moved to AD, though you
>>> may have to use later versions of your software or migrate to other,
>>> possibly better software.
>>>
>> At them moment the main thing I can think of is the mail server uses
>> it for mailing lists and all authentication and authorization.
>
> What is your mail server ?
Debian, cyrus imap postfix, amavis, clamav, sogo ...

>> All it takes is one crucial thing that ad will not do and it's
>> eliminated as the only source of data.
>>>
>>> Looks like a probable good use of 'sites'
>> What is sites?
>
> Try reading this:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Active_Directory_Sites
>
> Basically boils down to having a DC (at least) at each site and
> configuring AD to be in its own 'site' in AD.
That takes care of part of the problem.

>>> As I said above, why do you need the Windows servers, what do they
>>> do ?
>> Accounting, any thing that can not be done in linux.
>
> Is this a proprietary accounting package ?
Yes
It's a non-profit charitable organization and we need a very flexible
accounting system.
Besides the irs, everyone that gives us money wants to define how we do
our accounting.

>> All services are provided by linux.

>>> Why, what do you use openldap for ?
>> Pretty much all authorization and authentication, groups, mailing
>> lists for hundreds of computers at 5 locations.
>
> What you could do is, run the openldap servers as Unix domain members
> and sync user names and password from AD, probably the easiest way
> would be to investigate the Univention server:
> https://www.univention.com/

I'll check it out.

--
John McMonagle