[Samba] How to automatically store the macAddress in AD

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Mar 17 10:24:26 UTC 2019

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 20:58:35 +0000
Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 21:32:43 +0100
> "Pierre, BRIEC" <pierre.briec at stetherese.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > from the veyon documentation
> > A standard Active Directory does not have an attribute for storing
> > MAC addresses.
>
> Do you think I imagined the attribute called 'macAddress' ?
> Its objectclass is 'ieee802Device' and they can be added to a
> computers object in AD.
>
> Rowland
>
> >You’ll need to populate MAC addresses manually in an
> > existing unused attribute such as wwwHomepageor extend the AD
> > scheme. Additionally you can grant computers group write access to
> > SELF and let them store the MAC address of the first physical LAN
> > adapter by using a PowerShell startup script.
> >
> > So, is it possible ?

OK, after Pierre posted the above and knowing the required attribute
does exist, I tried to get my DHCP update script to add a mac address
to a computer object. I was successful in doing this, but there is a
gotcha, you need to give 'dhcpduser' (This is the user used by the
script) write permissions on the Computers OU.

Now whether you would want to do this, or if Veyon will use the data
stored on a computers object, are further questions.

Rowland