[Samba] Samba 4.8 Config SMB.Conf File

Tyrus Shivers tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com
Fri Mar 15 15:17:52 UTC 2019

I did check the clock. the NTP service is running and the clocks are
synchronized between the host machine and the DC1 which is the NTP server.

DC1 is inside the network with the client in question.

hostname.mydomain.com is the DC1 which is located on the same network as
the machine I am having issues with.

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:10 AM Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:34:18 -0400
> Tyrus Shivers <tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes for joining the domain.
> >
> > Running testjoin I get: Join is OK.
> >
> > The network is separated and does not access the open internet so I
> > have to come on another network to email you all :)
>
> OK, What is the DC and where is it ?
> Inside the network or outside ?
>

> > getent passwd returns nothing for me.
> > id returns no such user.
> >

> > Question:
> >
> > The original SMB.conf that was on the system when I inherited it
> > running 7.3 and Samba 4.4 did not have mydomain lines and just had
> > the * and the backend was rid. It worked. You said that was incorrect
> > setup.
>
> It was, the '*' domain is meant for the Well Known SID's and anything
> outside the listed domains, Whilst it will sort of work, it wont work
> correctly. Using 'rid' compounds the error, as you need an allocating
> backend.
>

> > workgroup = mydomain
> > password server = hostname.mydomain.com
> > realm = mydomain.com
> > security = ads
> > idmap config * : range = 10000-19999
> > idmap config * : backend = rid
> >
> > Why on 4.4 does the above work and not on 4.8?
>
> The main change between 4.4. & 4.8 is that winbind nows needs to be
> running.
>

> > Since changing to the tdb backend it shows no such user. If I remove
> > those line and go back to the original it will not start. If I add my
> > domain and keep the * lines it gives me a user, but the wrong UIDs.
> > The ranges do overlap in that case though which I know is not correct.
> >
> > Is there something specific that I need to setup with a tdb backend?
> > Other configurations that I am missing?
>
> I am wondering if this gives a clue:
>
> password server = hostname.mydomain.com
>
> What is 'hostname.mydomain.com' and where is it ?
>
> Rowland
>
> --

V/R
Tyrus Shivers
Bestgate Engineering LLC
Direct: (410) 872-2457
tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com

<tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com>
This e-mail transmission and any documents, files or previous e-mail
messages attached to it, may be privileged and confidential and is intended
only for the use of the intended recipient of this message.  If you are not
the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure,
retention, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of any of the
information contained in, or attached to this e-mail transmission is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail or by telephone at
the above number and delete this e-mail message and its attachments.