[Samba] Samba 4.8 Config SMB.Conf File

Tyrus Shivers tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com
Fri Mar 15 14:34:18 UTC 2019

Yes for joining the domain.

Running testjoin I get: Join is OK.

The network is separated and does not access the open internet so I have to
come on another network to email you all :)

getent passwd returns nothing for me.
id returns no such user.

Question:

The original SMB.conf that was on the system when I inherited it running
7.3 and Samba 4.4 did not have mydomain lines and just had the * and the
backend was rid. It worked. You said that was incorrect setup.

workgroup = mydomain
password server = hostname.mydomain.com
realm = mydomain.com
security = ads
idmap config * : range = 10000-19999
idmap config * : backend = rid

Why on 4.4 does the above work and not on 4.8?

Since changing to the tdb backend it shows no such user. If I remove those
line and go back to the original it will not start. If I add my domain and
keep the * lines it gives me a user, but the wrong UIDs. The ranges do
overlap in that case though which I know is not correct.

Is there something specific that I need to setup with a tdb backend? Other
configurations that I am missing?

V/R
Tyrus Shivers
Bestgate Engineering LLC
Direct: (410) 872-2457
tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com

<tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com>
This e-mail transmission and any documents, files or previous e-mail
messages attached to it, may be privileged and confidential and is intended
only for the use of the intended recipient of this message.  If you are not
the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure,
retention, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of any of the
information contained in, or attached to this e-mail transmission is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail or by telephone at
the above number and delete this e-mail message and its attachments.