[Samba] Replication and KCC problems on upgrade

Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com
Thu Mar 14 21:56:17 UTC 2019

----- On Mar 1, 2019, at 9:20 AM, Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com wrote:

> ----- On Mar 1, 2019, at 3:35 AM, samba samba at lists.samba.org wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if this has anything to do with the 'you cannot upgrade
>> directly from 4.7.x to 4.9.x' bug ?
>

> I was not aware of this bug. Do you think I should scrap this upgrade and try
> again jumping like so? 4.0.6-12 -> 4.7 -> 4.8 -> 4.9

Upgrading 4.0.6-12 -> 4.7 -> 4.8 -> 4.9 got me to 4.9 without any replication/ldapcmp errors.

However, since 4.8, domain members using winbind are unable to ID users.

wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g return just fine, but id does not. It seems that it cannot resolve SIDs though:

wbinfo -S <sid>
failed to call wbcSidToUid: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Could not convert sid <sid> to uid

My setup ran on 4.7 without issue.

[global]
        netbios name = mray5
        realm = TEST.REALM
        workgroup = TEST
        preferred master = no
        security = ADS
        encrypt passwords = yes
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/%I
        max log size = 50
        winbind enum users = Yes
        winbind enum groups = Yes
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        winbind nested groups = Yes
        winbind offline logon = Yes
        idmap config * : range = 3000 - 4000
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        idmap config TEST : schema_mode = rfc2307
        idmap config TEST : backend = ad
        idmap config TEST : range = 9000 - 12000
        idmap config TEST : readonly = yes
        idmap config TEST : default = yes
        idmap cache time = 604800
        idmap negative cache time = 604800