[Samba] Samba 4.8 Config SMB.Conf File

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 14 17:24:33 UTC 2019

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 13:08:13 -0400
Tyrus Shivers <tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com> wrote:

> yes windbind is installed and running

Good

> yes sssd is installed, but it was not running. I did start it and ran

Bad, good and then bad again ;-)

I would remove sssd, it isn't required if you are using winbind

> net cache flush and id again and still no such user.
>
> This is the working nsswitch.conf file that was copied over from the
> 7.3 working system.
>
> /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
> passwd:    files sss winbind
> shadow:    files sss winbind
> group:       files sss winbind
> #initgroups : files sss
>
> hosts: files  dns  myhostname
>
> bootparams:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return]  files
>
> ethers:       files
> netmasks: files
> networks:  files
> protocols:  files
> rpc:            files
> services:   files   sss
>
> netgroup:   files  sss
> publickey:  nisplus
>
> automount:  files
> aliases:        files  nisplus

I would remove all the 'sss' occurrences and 'winbind from the shadow
line.

Is Selinux blocking access ?
Is a firewall running and blocking ports ?

The 'rid' backend is usually the easiest to use, you just add the
required lines to smb.conf, restart smbd, nmbd & winbind and it usually
just works.

Just a thought, is the computer using a DC as its first nameserver
in /etc/resolv.conf ?

Rowland