[Samba] SPN and case sensitivity on LMDB backend

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Wed Mar 13 21:34:00 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

samba-tool dbcheck  --reindex
Re-indexing...
../ldb_tdb/ldb_index.c:2352: duplicate attribute value in
CN=WSTEST,OU=vm,OU=computers,OU=test,DC=ad,DC=test,DC=it for index on
servicePrincipalName, duplicate of objectGUID
4c723426-73f8-4991-bf95-88eb57840c2c in
@INDEX:SERVICEPRINCIPALNAME:TERMSRV/WSTEST.AD.TEST.IT

Looking at the computer entry, I indeed have thoses two SPN (notice the
case of hostname).

servicePrincipalName: TERMSRV/WSTEST.ad.test.it
servicePrincipalName: TERMSRV/wstest.ad.test.it

Looking at documentation from Microsoft: "Service Principal Names (SPNs)
are not case sensitive when used by Microsoft Windows-based computers.
However, an SPN can be used by any type of computer system. Many of
these computer systems, especially UNIX-based systems, are
case-sensitive and require the proper case to function properly. Care
should be taken to use the proper case particularly when an SPN can be
used by a non-Windows-based computer."

So I don't know if it is the dbcheck or the SPN which is wrong. Those
two SPN have been produced automatically by a Windows workstation. I
don't know if it is the OS upgrade from the client (win7 to win10) or if
it is the upgrade of Samba (4.8 TDB to 4.9 LMDB) that created this
discrepancy, but it is there...

Cleaning up the SPN remove the dbcheck error. Should I fill a bugzilla
entry for this?

Cheers,

Denis

--