[Samba] replication fails

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Mar 13 10:54:35 UTC 2019

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 11:43:57 +0100
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 13.03.19 um 11:33 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger via samba:
>
> > where does that come from ... everything was fine last time we
> > checked ... very frustrating
>
> I mean, replication worked fine for a month or so already. And afaik
> there were no changes on the DCs (maybe unattended debian-upgrades).
>
> DC1 has:
>
> nameserver 192.168.16.111
> search my.tld
>
> .111 is the router/fw to WAN

Stefan, how many times does this have to be said, A DC must use itself
as its nameserver. Change 192.168.16.111 to the DC's ipaddress

>... for forwarding DNS, but this should
> be covered with smb.conf already:
>
> dns forwarder = 192.168.16.111

The forwarding is done by the Samba DC's DNS server, not
via /etc/resolv.conf

> -
>
> So I assume it should point to the own IPv4-IP of DC1 itself, which
> is .205

Yes

> But I don't understand yet if the mistake is on DC1 and/or DC2 so I
> wait with further changes.

If this mistake is on both DC's, then it is on both.

> prod machines, you know.
>
> Maybe resolv.conf was changed by some automation script here, could
> be, can't bet right now.

You must stop anything altering resolv.conf e.g. resolvconf

Rowland