[Samba] AD Member: server role = member server vs. security = ADS

David Ayers ayers at fsfe.org
Fri Mar 8 07:50:28 UTC 2019

Am Donnerstag, den 07.03.2019, 16:52 +0000 schrieb Rowland Penny via
samba:
> On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 17:08:46 +0100
> David Ayers via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

Thank you for the clarifications!

> The smb.conf files found on the wiki are very basic and are only
> meant
> to get you up and running and able to join a domain. It is up to a
> sysadmin to decide whatever else they need in smb.conf.

Yes, I understand that samba is complex and therefore the decision on
what to set when is likely answered with "it depends" on a case by case
basis.

In the case of "server role" and "security" it seems strange that
different settings amount to the same assumed result.

It also wasn't clear to me whether any local password management was
useful or even valid in the case of a domain member at all, but I
didn't clearly ask that question.  Yet now I infer that it isn't.

Thank you very much for your guidance!

David Ayers

--
David Ayers - Team Austria